Exploring Computer Science
With support from Oregon ETIC, TechStart intends to increase the number of high school students that aspire to major in computer science (CS) during post-secondary education by recruiting three pilot schools to adopt the full year class offering of Exploring Computer Science (ECS) for the 2012-2013 school year. An additional four schools will be recruited for the 2013-2014 school year.
2013-2014 Grant Application Process
The grant application process for 2013-2014 is closed. You can still find our grant summary information sheet with important information and the 2013 ECS Grant Application (Word Doc).
What is the commitment?
- Adopt the yearlong high school Exploring Computer Science course for students in the 2013-2014 school years. This class is a full year introductory computer science course with a pre-requisite of Algebra 1.
- The district / school will identify a qualified teacher to teach the course. It is up to the district to determine qualifications for this teacher based on existing standards and the district, state, and national level.
- Strive to attract at least 15 students for the course offering, with a determined effort to recruit under-represented students in STEM fields (ethnic minority and female).
- Ensure that students will have access to a dedicated computer lab. The funds provided by this grant will not cover the provisioning of new computers for students.
- Participate in a formal evaluation that will involve confidential surveys and other assessments with students participating in the class.
What will be provided to the school?
- $3,000 startup grant for school for supplies to support the course (robotics kits, software, etc.)
- $2,000 stipend plus two meals per day for a single teacher to attend summer training (likely 2 full weeks.
- $600 stipend for a single teacher for 6 1-day workshops during the school year
- Marketing support and guidance from TechStart to help recruit students into this course offering
- Online support materials including collaboration with other Oregon teachers deploying Exploring Computer Science.
What is Exploring Computer Science?
Exploring Computer Science is a yearlong course consisting of 6 units, approximately 6 weeks each. The course units draw on the curricular framework listed in Levels II and III of the ACM’s A Model Curriculum for K-12 Computer Science (2003). Assignments and instruction are contextualized to be socially relevant and meaningful for diverse students. Units utilize a variety of tools/platforms, and culminate with final projects around the following topics:
- Human Computer Interaction
- Problem Solving
- Web Design
- Computing and Data Analysis